My Journey...

Daily ramblings of an Endometriosis survivor, possible MS sufferer, wife and Mommy of 2 precious little girls...but more so lately, a place to complain because I just don't feel good.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Well...No Answers...Yet...

Saw the Neurologist today. Have I ever mentioned that I love this doctor??? Despite my diatribe yesterday about being at peace with whatever happens, I was pretty daggone nervous by the time I got there. So much so that my BP was 139/91!!! EEEKKK!!!

Anyway, he came in and told me that my MRI looked "OK" and that the only thing found on it was some minor arthritic looking something or another in my neck, but that was not causing my problems. He told me that he could tell a drastic change in my overall appearance between when I first saw him in December, then again in January, through today. He said that each time, he could tell that I was a little worse and a little worse...(uh...thanks!) Well, admittedly, in December when I saw him, I felt fairly good. In January and now, I really did get much weaker than I had been at that time. I was actually surprised that he could really tell that.

He said that my MRI results did NOT mean that he could rule out MS...MS is still unfortunately an option, but he said that he wants to run another gammet of tests - EMG, sleep study, etc. He wants to be sure we have covered every single base.

He looked at my list of "complaints" that I've been having, and he said that all of these things are perfectly "normal" complaints for someone in my condition. He said that he KNOWS that there is SOMETHING going on with me...and for that, I love him. Not because he's willing to commisserate with me or humor me, but that he honestly feels and sees that there is something not quite right. He even said that if he thought it was in my head, he would be the very first person to tell me so! THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DOCTOR!!

Anyway, here's the plan of action. We will do a sleep study to be sure that it's not sleep problems that are causing me my grief (it's not...I promise...). Then we'll do the EMG to see how that goes. In the meantime, he's asked me to research a few drugs that might help ease my symptoms. The one he suggested was Neurontin which will help with my electric-type pains and with the jerking, twitching and spasms that I go through constantly. He also suggested doing an anti-depressant (to help with fatigue and overall well-being, not because he thinks I'm depressed), and another drug for Narcoleptics (again to help with fatigue), which he's less inclined to give. I think I'll definitely try the Neurontin...after all, it can't get much worse than it already is!

I asked him what happens if all of these tests come back normal...he said that we just keep on plugging away, one step at a time, until we find the answer. He said it may take awhile, but we'll figure it out. I also asked if I had a normal looking MRI now that it would be inclined to stay that way. He said not necessarily...sometimes it takes time for things to show. (*sigh*)

In the meantime, they took 13...yes THIRTEEN...vials of blood from me today!!!!! Oh...my....gosh! My arm is going to fall off!!! Anyway, he was rechecking all of my levels that he had tested before just to be sure that nothing has changed there.

The best part....somewhere between December and now, I lost 13 lbs!! When I first saw him in December, I weighed 161. Today I weighed 148! WOOHOO!!!!! Sadly, I don't have a big appetite these days, so I guess that's what's going on.

Anyway, thank you for all of your posts, e-mails, prayers and thoughts. We're still not where we need to be as far as answers are concerned, but at least now I feel HOPEFUL! That's a good thing to feel...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrianne said...

Mimi- I am sitting here crying for you. You are such a good friend and it hurts me that you still don't know the answers. I really hope that for you and your family's sake you find out soon. It kills me to know that you just keep feeling worse. You are such a young and caring person and I want you to be able to enjoy your girls while they are young, because they grow up so fast.

On a happy note, yeah for the 13lbs. Maybe I should get a mysterious illness... Just joking. Ok I must be either PMSing or mental...

I'll let you be the judge!

I love you!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mimi - I hate that you are still searching for answers. I am happy though that you have a Dr. who won't settle for anything but an answer! I hope this puts you on the path to answers. Congrat on the weight loss. Take care!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa-
Praise God for giving you the peace of mind that you needed. I am so glad that you like your doctor and that he really seems to be concerned with your symptoms. I pray that you will finally have answers soon. I love you! Congrats on the weight loss. You are just probably giving it to me now! :-)
Love and Hugs,
Tabitha

6:31 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Isn't it wonderful to have such a wonderful dr. on your team? That's how I feel about Dr. C-- course I'm naming my first child after her ;)

I hope that you find answer soon!!

HUGS & PRAYERS
Rhonda

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home